166 Conversation Starters For Virtually Any Situation - An Ecommerce Expert's Guide
General Conversation Starters
Whether you're trying to break the ice with a stranger or keep a conversation going with a friend, these conversation starters are perfect for virtually any situation:
- What brought you here today?
- What are you reading/watching/listening to lately?
- What's your favorite restaurant in town?
- What do you like to do for fun?
If you're looking for conversation topics that go beyond small talk, consider these options:
- What was your favorite event you've ever attended?
- What upcoming events are you most excited about?
- Have you ever been to [specific event or location]? What did you think?
- What industry do you work in?
- What are your thoughts on the future of [industry]?
- What's the biggest challenge facing [industry] right now?
- What's your favorite app or website?
- How has technology impacted your life?
- What invention do you think has had the biggest impact on society?
- What's the last book you read that you loved?
- What's your favorite movie/TV show/podcast?
- What type of content do you enjoy consuming the most?
- What's the weirdest job you've ever had?
- What's the coolest place you've ever been?
- What's the craziest thing you've ever done?
Conversation Starters to Use at a Conference
Conferences can be a bit overwhelming, but these conversation starters can help you make new connections:
- What sessions are you planning on attending today/tomorrow?
- What inspired you to attend this conference?
- Have you met any interesting people so far?
- What do you hope to take away from this conference?
Conversation Starters to Use at an Industry Event
Industry events are a great opportunity to connect with others in your field. Try these conversation starters:
- What do you think is the biggest challenge facing our industry right now?
- What new technologies or trends are you most excited about?
- What do you think sets [company/organization] apart from others in our industry?
Conversation Starters to Use at a Networking Happy Hour
Happy hours can be a great place to meet new people and make connections. Use these conversation starters to break the ice:
- What's your go-to drink at a happy hour?
- What do you think of the venue?
- How did you get into [industry/profession]?
- What's your favorite thing about your job?
Conversation Starters to Use at a Social Event
When you're at a social event, it's always good to have some conversation starters in your back pocket. Here are a few to try:
- What do you like to do for fun?
- Have you been to any good restaurants/bars/clubs/etc. lately?
- What kind of music do you like?
- Do you have any travel plans coming up?
Questions to Start a Conversation
If you're ever struggling to think of something to say, try asking these open-ended questions:
- What do you think about [relevant topic]?
- What's your favorite [type of food/movie/book/etc.]?
- What's something you've always wanted to try?
- What's the most interesting thing you've learned recently?
The Ultimate Conversation Starter
If all else fails, try this ultimate conversation starter: simply ask the other person about themselves. People love to talk about themselves, and asking questions can help you learn more about the person you're talking to and keep the conversation flowing.