Creating an Exceptional Graphic Design Portfolio: Tips, Ideas, and Examples
Graphic Design Portfolio Website Examples
When it comes to building a graphic design portfolio, seeing examples from other top designers can inspire and guide you. Here are 14 of the best graphic design portfolios:
- Matt Farley
- Alex Sailer
- Madeleine Dalla
- Oliver K accomplished
- Bodega Rose
- Above Mars
- Milena Włodarczyk
- Curtis Jinkins
- Yulong Wu
- Petr Had
- Robyn Kanner
- Mickaela Grace
- Gareth Fowler
- Andrew Couldwell
How to Make a Graphic Design Portfolio
Building a graphic design portfolio takes a combination of creativity, strategy, and attention to detail. Follow these steps to create a portfolio that stands out:
1. Curate your best work, and show a wide breadth of skill.
Your portfolio should showcase your top projects that highlight a wide range of your design skills. Be sure to include examples of your best work in areas such as branding, web design, print design, and packaging design.
2. Choose the right platform to showcase your work.
Choose a platform that best fits your design style, goals, and preferences. Popular portfolio sites include Behance, Dribbble, and Adobe Portfolio. It might also make sense to build your portfolio website from scratch using your own domain and hosting.
3. Include a professional case study or client recommendations.
Include at least one detailed case study that explains your process, goals, and results. Showcase the problem you had to solve and how you tackled it creatively. Adding client recommendations can also help build credibility and trust.
4. Integrate your personality.
Don't be afraid to showcase your individuality and interests. Use your about page to explain why you became a designer, what drives you, and what kind of projects you are passionate about.
5. Describe the creative process.
Explain your creative approach and give a glimpse into your design process. You can use visuals, sketches, or even videos to demonstrate how you go from ideation to execution.
6. Show non-client work, or side projects.
Having personal projects or spec work can demonstrate your creativity and range beyond your client work. This is a great opportunity to showcase your passion and skills.
Graphic Design Portfolio Ideas
If you are looking for inspiration, here are six graphic design portfolio ideas:
- Help a local business or start-up with its design and brand.
- Create content for your own personal brand.
- Redesign an existing website.
- Create graphic designs for a made-up company.
- Design a logo for a brand you love.
- Create a stock theme for WordPress.
- Take part in a design challenge.
Graphic Design Portfolio Tips
Here are six graphic design portfolio tips to keep in mind:
- Show your versatility.
- Display your best work.
- Include case studies.
- Make it clean and easy to navigate.
- Prominently display contact information.
- Display your unique personality.
The best graphic design portfolios aren’t ever finished.
Your portfolio is a living document that should evolve and improve over time. Keep updating it with new projects, skills, and experiences.