How to Rank Videos on YouTube
YouTube is a valuable platform for e-commerce, offering endless opportunities to market products through visual content. But with over 2 billion monthly users and a massive collection of video content, it can be challenging to stand out in the crowd.
In this article, we'll explore how to optimize your videos for YouTube search and get more views, subscribers, and engagement. We'll cover essential YouTube SEO tips, a checklist to follow, and some tools to help you get the job done.
Is it worth optimizing videos on YouTube?
Yes! Optimizing your videos for YouTube search is a critical step in making your content more discoverable and driving traffic to your e-commerce store. By implementing the right SEO techniques, you can:
- Rank higher on YouTube search results pages
- Improve your video's visibility
- Increase watch time and engagement
- Get more subscribers and build a loyal fan base
YouTube SEO Tips
1. Rename your video file using a target keyword.
Before uploading your video to YouTube, rename its file name using a keyword that describes its content. This will help YouTube understand your video and rank it for relevant search queries.
2. Insert your keyword naturally in the video title.
Your video's title is the most crucial factor in YouTube search rankings. Make sure to include your target keyword and keep the title compelling and intriguing to users. Avoid clickbaits or misleading titles.
3. Optimize your video description.
Your video's description plays a significant role in YouTube SEO. Use your target keyword in the first few sentences of the description, and provide a detailed summary of the video's content. You can also add links to your e-commerce store, social media profiles, or other relevant content. Lastly, include your target keyword in the tags section.
4. Tag your video with popular keywords that relate to your topic.
Add relevant tags to your video to improve visibility and help YouTube understand your video's topic better. Use tools like TubeBuddy or VidIQ to find popular keywords and phrase tags that reflect your video's content. Make sure that you add only relevant tags.
5. Categorize your video.
Select the right category for your video to help YouTube sort and rank it appropriately. Choose a category that best reflects your video's content and engages your audience.
6. Upload a custom thumbnail image for your video's result link.
A compelling thumbnail image can significantly improve your video's click-through rate and overall engagement. Use a high-quality image that reflects your video's content and makes it stand out from the competition.
7. Use an SRT File to add subtitles & closed captions.
Adding subtitles and closed captions to your videos can improve accessibility, reach a broader audience, and enhance your SEO. Use an SRT file to create accurate subtitles and closed captions and upload them with your video. This will help YouTube understand the video's context correctly.
8. Add Cards and End Screens to increase your YouTube channel's viewership.
Cards and End Screens are interactive elements that can help you promote your videos, e-commerce store, or other relevant content. Use them wisely to inspire your viewers to take action and engage with your brand.
9. Add hashtags to increase reach.
Hashtags can help your videos reach a broader audience beyond your subscribers. Use relevant keywords or phrases as hashtags in your video's description, comments, and social media posts. Take note that a maximum of three hashtags is advisable.
10. Create a playlist about your video's general topic.
Creating a playlist that aggregates all your videos about a specific topic can improve your video's visibility and engagement. Organize your videos in a playlist and give it an SEO-friendly title. This will help YouTube categorize and promote your videos appropriately.
11. Optional: Leave a pinned comment on your video.
A pinned comment can help engage your audience and encourage more interaction on your video. Use this to reply to your audience's comments, invite feedback, or promote your e-commerce store.
YouTube SEO Checklist
- Rename your video file with a target keyword.
- Create a compelling and SEO-friendly title.
- Add a detailed and optimized video description with tags and keywords.
- Select an appropriate category for your video.
- Add a custom thumbnail image.
- Use SRT files to add subtitles and closed captions.
- Add Cards and End Screens to promote your other content.
- Add hashtags to increase reach.
- Create a playlist for your video's topic.
- Leave a pinned comment to engage your audience.
YouTube SEO Tools
Optimizing your videos for YouTube search can be challenging, especially for beginners. Fortunately, some tools can help you with keyword research, video analysis, and SEO optimization. Here are some popular ones:
- Google Trends
- Google AdWords Keyword Planner