How to Write a Press Release that Stands Out
What is a press release/news release?
A press release, also known as a news release, is a written communication that announces something newsworthy about a company or organization. The purpose of a press release is to generate media coverage and increase awareness of a company or its products or services.
Types of Press Releases
A successful press release will have a clear and concise message and be targeted to the appropriate audience. Here are some common types of press releases:
Introduce a new product or service to the market and generate buzz among potential customers.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Announce changes in ownership or partnerships between companies.
Announce updates to existing products or services.
Promote upcoming events, such as product launches, tradeshows or seminars.
Announce new store locations or offices.
Announce new partnerships, such as collaborations or sponsorships, between companies.
Announce changes to a company's brand, such as a new logo or website redesign.
Executive Team Changes
Announce new executive hires or changes to the leadership team.
Announce any awards or recognition that the company has received.
Press Release Format
Here are the essential elements of a successful press release:
1. Write a compelling headline.
Your headline should be attention-grabbing and informative. It should convey the most important information in a concise and powerful way.
2. Convey the news value to the press.
Your first paragraph should communicate the newsworthy aspect of your announcement. Make sure to answer the classic 5W's: Who, what, when, where, and why.
3. Offer a tempting quote.
Incorporating a quote from a company representative or expert in the industry adds credibility to your message and makes the release more quotable.
4. Provide valuable background information on the subject.
Include statistics, facts, and figures that support your message and offer context to the reader. This information can allay any doubts the reader may have about the credibility of your message.
5. Summarize the "who" and the "what" in a boilerplate.
A boilerplate is a brief paragraph about your company that summarizes what you do, your achievements, and your mission statement. This should be included at the end of your release.
Press Release Templates
Using a template can make the writing process simple and effective. Here are some common press release templates to help you get started:
- Product launch press release template
- Event press release template
- Company announcement press release template
Press Release Examples
It can be helpful to refer to successful press release examples to get an idea for what works well. Here are some examples of successful press releases:
- Tesla Reveals New Electric Semi-Truck (Product Launch)
- Microsoft Acquires LinkedIn (Mergers and Acquisitions)
- Apple Announces the iPhone 12 (Product Updates)
- New York Comic Con 2021 to Host Over 150 Guests (Events)
- Amazon Opens New Fulfillment Center In Ohio (Grand Openings)
- Google Forms New Partnership with NASA (New Partnerships)
- Coca-Cola Introduces New Packaging and Brand Identity (Rebranding)
- IBM Names New CEO (Executive Team Changes)
- Shopify Wins 'Best eCommerce Platform' at 2021 Webby Awards (Awards)
Tips for Publishing Press Releases
Here are some tips to ensure that your press releases reach and resonate with top media outlets:
1. Reach out to specific journalists.
Do your research to find the most appropriate journalists for your announcement. Send a personalized pitch to those individuals and strengthen relationships that can lead to future coverage.
2. Send the release to top journalists the day before.
Give key journalists an exclusive preview of your announcement before it is released to the public. This can generate more media coverage and encourage larger publications to cover your story.
3. To avoid competition, don't publish your release on the hour.
Release your press release at an unconventional time, such as 15 minutes before or after the hour, to avoid being lost in the sea of competing press releases.
4. Share your media coverage.
After your press release is picked up, share it on your social media channels and website to ensure your message reaches your target audience. This also helps to show credibility to potential customers and clients.
How To Stand Out In The News
Creating and distributing a successful press release requires a blend of creativity, planning, and strategy. By leveraging these tips and templates, your next press release will stand out among the endless sea of information competing for media attention.