Pro Tips: The Dos and Don'ts of Adding HTML Line Breaks
In today’s fast-paced world, creating an engaging website can mean the difference between making a sale and losing out to the competition. One of the most important tools a developer has in their toolbox is HTML, and line breaks are one of the most frequently used elements. In this post, we’ll explore the dos and don’ts of adding HTML line breaks to your eCommerce site.
What is a line break in HTML?
A line break is a simple piece of code that tells the browser to start a new line. In HTML, the
<br> tag is used to create a line break. Line breaks are commonly used to create white space between paragraphs or to separate content into clear sections. They can also be used to create single-spaced lines or even quadruple-spaced lines.
How to Do a Line Break in HTML
Using HTML to create line breaks is incredibly easy. Simply insert the
<br> tag wherever you want to start a new line. For example, let’s say you want to create a list of items that each appear on a new line:
- Item 1<br>
- Item 2<br>
- Item 3<br>
Each item will now appear on a separate line, which makes the list much easier to read.
The Dos of Adding HTML Line Breaks
Now that you know how easy it is to add a line break in HTML, let’s talk about some best practices. Here are some “dos” when it comes to inserting line breaks:
- Do use line breaks to create separation between paragraphs, items on a list, or sections of content.
- Do use line breaks to create white space, but don’t overdo it. Too many breaks create clutter and confusion.
- Do experiment with different spacing options. Double-spaced text might be easier on the eyes, while quadruple-spaced text can help create a sense of hierarchy.
The Don’ts of Adding HTML Line Breaks
There are also a few “don’ts” to be aware of when inserting line breaks:
- Don’t use line breaks to change the font size or style. These should be handled through CSS instead.
- Don’t overuse line breaks. Too many line breaks can make your content look choppy and disjointed.
- Don’t forget about the importance of white space. While line breaks can be helpful for breaking up content, they aren’t the only tool at your disposal. Use headings, bullet points, and images to create visual interest and organization too.
By following these dos and don’ts, you can use line breaks to make your eCommerce site more visually appealing and user-friendly. Whether you want to create space between paragraphs or list items, line breaks are a powerful tool that can help you achieve your goals.